MBA Alumni Spotlight: Jake Godber, Online MBA Graduate

February 01, 2019

0 (1)A University of Wyoming undergraduate alumnus, the University of Wyoming MBA program seemed a natural fit for graduate Jake Godber from the outside looking in. The decision wasn’t made with haste, though, and Godber says he did a lot of research after moving to Denver before ultimately choosing the program’s online degree for its curriculum offerings, affordability, and flexibility. Plus, he says, he knew he would be in good company with an MBA from the University of Wyoming on his resume.

“I was in Detroit and had a challenging meeting with a global company. At the time, I was sitting on the plane feeling like I lost the business our company had with them and thought maybe it was time I should consider something else,” Godber recalls. “The gentleman [on the plane] next to me asked where I went to school, and I replied that I went to UW. He replied: ‘You know, I’ve hired Harvard and Princeton grads, but the hardest, most dedicated and best working employees I have came from the University of Wyoming. I always get the best talent from their programs.’”

Jake traveled back to the UW campus for an in-person interview with Steve Farkas, Assistant Dean of the University of Wyoming College of Business, and attended a UW tailgate event to talk with other peer candidates and alumni. He found both helpful in making his decision, sharing initial experiences and helping to ensure he was “on board and doing the right thing.”

He continued to network and work closely with peers throughout the program, and says that was one of his greatest takeaways from the UW MBA experience.

“You had such a dynamic mix, the diversity of the cohort really made things interesting, educational and very much worthwhile,” Godber says,  “From a person from South America to the head of a hospital pharmacy program in Billings, Montana to an aeronautical engineer, the online program was so rich in people. Listening to their insights and how they interpreted things made me think critically about each of the projects.”

Jake recalls that the program also mixed online students with on-campus students to ship projects to customers. Together, students were able to solve company problems, presenting recommendations to executives, and building on real life experience.

When it comes to participating in an online MBA program, Godber found it helpful to have 5-10 years of experience in the real world, because it made the MBA program more applicable to his career.

“In the Economics course, one project was to write a report on an industry based on the tools I learned. I chose the Specialty Chemicals Industry and how that relates to Underwriters Laboratories.”

Three trends he learned while working on the project stood out to him as being very applicable to his career at Underwriters Laboratories (UL):

“Everything is digital. People in the industry spend less time in person or on the phone, and often rely on websites to gather information for new product development, and how acquisitions enable companies to become larger and more profitable.”

The lessons learned have proven applicable indeed, and Jake says his ability to have informed conversations with clients he works with has helped him to increase revenue for UL through business development. In fact, he credits the program and experience gained for a pay increase and a promotion to Sales Mentor for his company’s sales team.

“I would highly recommend UW’s MBA program to anyone considering or researching online MBA schools,” Godber says, “Top notch professors that are available and responsive. The experience shaped my professional story for the future, and now someone asks about my credentials, the MBA is now part of my story. I’m proud to be from Wyoming and to have attended UW both for their undergrad and grad program.”

Are you interested in shaping your own story? Learn how by requesting more information and getting in touch with a UW MBA Program representative.