Why Wyoming?

February 08, 2018

Why did i choose to attend the university of wyoming?

Would everyone just fall over if the wind stopped blowing? This is just one of a few of the ridiculous questions that I’ve been asked about Wyoming, and it has made me really think about why I chose Laramie. Why do we choose to live here? I mean, everyone knows the wind and cold can be brutal. Yet, there’s over 30,000 of us who call Laramie home.

Where My Journey Began

It was the beginning of my senior year of high school and like many teenagers, I still had no clue what I wanted to do post-graduation. At the time, one of my best friends was a student at UW and she invited me up to Laramie for the weekend. She showed me around town, took me to a football game and introduced me to her friends. It was love at first visit. It was right then and there when I sold myself to the town and its people for the next four years.Picture1.png

The Real Reason

Let’s be realistic for a second. I grew up in Steamboat Springs, Colo., and while it is a gorgeous town, it’s far different from the city life. I could have done what most of my classmates did, and chose CSU or CU Boulder but, to be honest, I really didn’t want to repeat high school. Laramie’s small town feel and friendly people drew me in. In addition to that, those Colorado Universities couldn’t compare to the affordability that UW offered. You know it’s a good choice when your out-of-state tuition in Laramie is cheaper than in-state tuition would be in Colorado.

Looking Back

I’ve been in Laramie for four years now and I will graduate this spring. I have made so many memories and friends throughout the years and I will cherish them. I couldn’t have picked a better town to call my home. Although there are days when I question why I chose the Windy State, there are far more days where I am reminded of its beauty and friendly people. It’s one of the only states that still follows the Code of the West, where neighbors help neighbors out, and where the whole state bands together to support one University. The University of Wyoming is truly a university of acceptance, family and integrity. If I could do it all again, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Apply Now