What's Your Brand?

August 31, 2018

Executive Speakers Series Presentation by Kent Noble, Bill Daniels Chair of Business Ethics at the University of Wyoming

“When you leave the room, what is it you hope people say about you?”

It’s a question most of us have been asked at least once in our lives, an invitation to look inward and reflect on the impressions we make on the people and places we come across.

On August 31, 2018 Kent Noble, the Bill Daniels Chair of Business Ethics at the University of Wyoming, took that invitation one step further with the question: “What’s your brand?”

Kent Noble Speaks to University of Wyoming MBA Candidates

Noble presented this question to fourteen first-year students of the University of Wyoming’s MBA Program, an AASCB accredited Master’s Degree program with an emphasis on experiential learning and real life exposure for its students. The presentation, based on the eight Principles from the Daniels Fund Ethics Initiative, challenged students to define their personal brands while considering their choices on how to handle adversity and how to put their best foot forward in their careers.

DANIELS FUND ETHICS INITIATIVE - PRINCIPLES

Integrity

Act with honesty in all situations

Trust

Build trust in all stakeholder relationships

Accountability

Accepts responsibility for all decisions

Transparency

Maintain open and truthful communications

Fairness

Engage in fair competition and create equitable and just relationships

Respect

Honor the rights, freedoms, views, and property of others

Rule of Law

Comply with the spirit and intent of laws and regulations

Viability

Create long-term value for all relevant stakeholders

During the presentation, Noble shared remarkable stories of facing and overcoming challenges, including Oprah Winfrey, surfer Bethany Hamilton and Josh who shares a story about Opening Doors & Hearts, Through these stories, MBA candidates learned about controlling their own attitude every day in response to what adversities they will face, and how they will respond to them.

“In short, we ask participants to consider these questions: Who am I? How do others see me? How can I improve my brand?” Noble said about the presentation, “After we put participants through a quick self-evaluation exercise, I reveal my beliefs regarding the brand qualities a person needs to separate themselves from the pack. We then spend time illustrating practical ways we can build our brands in each of these areas.“

Toward the end of the program, each student was then asked to identify their aspirational personal brand. The presentation ended in a self-reflective 66-day challenge that was, as Noble put it, “possibly life changing.”

“Sixty-six days ago, you spoke to us regarding personal branding and the 66-day challenge. Every day when I leave my home, I see my brand hanging next to the door,” one past student said, “I remember that the choices I make need to be reflective of the legacy I want to leave, and that my choices are always in my control. Every day, I tell myself that even though I'm not the smartest, the strongest, or the most charismatic, I can always control whether or not I am gritty. Sixty-six days later, I am a much different person than I was at the beginning of the challenge. My outlook, mindset, and approach are dramatically altered, and I intend to keep growing better from here.”

Kent Noble, Daniels Fund Ethics Chair, University of Wyoming

Noble’s presentation kicked off one of many in the MBA Program’s Executive Speaker Series, featuring industry leaders from across the nation like Noble, Kathy Witsil, Managing Director for JP Morgan Chase, Peter Johnson, President of Sinclair Oil, Wyoming Governor Matt Mead, and many more.

The series is designed to provide students with a strong network of individuals who share their business wisdom and open the door to employment and mentorship opportunities. In addition to listening and learning from some of the world’s top leaders right on the UW campus as part of the Executive Speaker Series, but they also participate in on-site visits to a number of regional companies like AnaDarko, Baker Hughes, and Cloud Peak Energy, to name a few.

Along with its Executive Speaker Series and Experiential Learning emphasis, The University of Wyoming’s MBA Program offers a 2:1 student to teacher ratio, providing a personal experience for each student, as well as AASCB accreditation, which is held by less than 5% of business schools online. Program stakeholders find it crucial for graduates to become immediate contributors to the organizations they join when they successfully graduate from our program, and it boasts a 90% placement rate for those students that do.

Learn more about about the Executive Speaker Series and the University of Wyoming’s MBA program, or talk with a real person at (307) 766-2449 or by emailing mba@uwyo.edu.

Request More Information