What it’s like to be a Business Major in the Disney College Program

October 11, 2016
    Every semester The Walt Disney Company provides the opport819px-Cinderella_Castle.jpgunity for students to be a part of their 4-8 month long Disney College Program in Disney World or Disney Land. Students that make it through the competitive three-stage application and interview process have the chance to live and work in the parks and be a part of a highly regarded program. Several University of Wyoming College of Business students have participated in the program over the years.

What does it mean for credit?

Students will earn internship credit for the program and they can even take classes provided by Disney. Classes offered are centered around areas of expertise in The Walt Disney Company and are on par with the challenge provided by classes here at the University of Wyoming. The classes are also designed to teach you concepts that can be applied to the jobs participants hold in the parks to even further growth. Classes offered include Disney Advanced Studies in Hospitality Management, Disney Corporate Analysis, and Disney Human Resource Management, among others. Seminar classes are also offered for students to learn more about Disney as a corporation and its mission.

What will you learn?

Students who participate in the program gain skills and experience that they can take back home to UW and apply to their classes and their careers. “Disney has really helped me with my international business course,” said Shaylee Dovey, a senior marketing major with a minor in finance who participated in the program last spring. “It has helped to have real world experiences to relate to various topics that we talk about in class. Disney also helped me improve my communication and professionalism skills. My experience at Disney has really opened my mind up to learning and the idea that what I am doing now will build my future opportunities.”

How does it benefit your career?

“The college program benefited me as a business student because I was able to learn through being in a global company,” Dovey said. “I was able to learn the importance of networking and most of all, it influenced me to get more out of school, not just a diploma.

Working for a Fortune 500 company at the entry-level doesn't exactly sound glamorous, but when you take into consideration that some companies require their incoming managers and CEOs to observe and work with their base-level workers in order to understand how the company is run and operated in the day to day from the ground up it starts to sound more valuable. Working in the parks gives students opportunities to see how large corporations are run and how they interact with their guests.

It even helps with future internships

Students who have participated in the Disney College Program are also eligible for exclusive internships with the company only accessible by DCP alumni. It’s the perfect opportunity for those who have working for Disney on their minds. But even if you don’t really want to work for The Walt Disney Company the program can still provide valuable experience to students, especially business majors in management or marketing.

But it’s not all work and no play

Besides gaining real world experience and resume padding college program participants have free access to the parks for the duration of their internship and access to exclusive events with behind the scenes tours of the parks among other benefits. “I think that the Disney College Program helps bridge college and future goals and helps you to make steps to reaching those goals,” Dovey said. “Of course, it is also a bunch of fun and you meet friends from all around the world.”

It’s a life changing experience for UW students

The Disney College Program is just one of the many opportunities available to University of Wyoming students that allows them to start here and go truly anywhere. “I did not know when I went to Disney that my future goals would be to go back and gain a career with Disney,” Dovey said. For more information about the program and to apply visit cp.disneycareers.com.