What I learned my Freshman Year at the College of Business

October 24, 2017

Freshman year was nothing like I imagined. I was a student in high school who didn’t really have to study to do well in my classes. That changed in college though. My freshman year was all about developing study habits, learning how to balance social and academic life, and learning how to take care of myself now that I was living on my own.

Don’t let that scare you though, because freshman year was also one of the best learning experiences I’ve had. I learned more about myself as a student and about the value of the UW College of Business. Here’s a few tips and tricks that could make a huge difference your freshman year at the COB:

20140718_TCB5593.jpg

• Create study groups and take advantage of study sessions
      • Looking back, I learned a lot more by studying with classmates than I did on my own. Being able to talk through information with other people helped everything stick. I found that during quizzes or exams, information was easier to remember when I studied with someone than trying to regurgitate something I read in a text book.
      • Another great asset the College of Business for lower division courses – Supplemental Instruction. This collaborative learning environment acts as a way of creating active learning among students. The student led sessions are a way to review on topics that other students may be struggling on.
    • Meet your professors and ask for help
      • Get out of your comfort zone and introduce yourself to professors. I was very nervous to go to teachers and ask for help as a freshman because I was afraid of looking like I didn’t understand information. More likely than not, your professors will actually be thrilled to help you. It shows that you are invested in understanding the material, and you could make a lasting relationship with that person.
      • Another important point though: If you’re lost or confused, don’t wait until the day before an exam to ask for help – your teacher may not have the time to motivation to help you last minute if you didn’t show effort throughout the semester. Office hours are there for a reason, take advantage of them.
    • Get Involved!
      • I was really involved in high school, so finding something to do at UW was on the top of my list of things to do as a freshman – and trust me, it was the best decision I made. The University of Wyoming has more than 270 Recognized Student Organizations across campus for students to get involved in, and quite a few of these are based out of the College of Business.
      • The great thing about RSO’s (recognized student organizations) at UW? There’s almost anything that may be of interest to you. The College of Business houses RSO’s that relate to almost every field that is offered here – Accounting, Economics, Finance, Marketing, and Management – and also offers general clubs to learn more about all of these fields. 

Signed,

Madeline Curry

College of Business Intern