UWAA Alumni Spotlight: Shannon Valenti Cheng

February 14, 2018

BA 2005, International Studies and Honors Studies

Headshot SVC.jpg

Shannon Valenti Cheng is grateful for the foundation that her time at the University of Wyoming gave her. Not only did her UW education set her apart from other candidates as she entered into Masters programs, but her interdisciplinary background has given her an edge over her competitors and helped her to succeed in her career. After working in Switzerland and studying in Italy, Shannon has settled in the San Francisco Bay area, but hasn’t forgotten her Wyoming roots.  

What are you currently doing with your career?

I am the program manager for a high-speed rail train project in the state of California. I work for the Pacific Gas and Electric Company and am currently working on the electrification of the train that will run from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

How has your career allowed you to give back to UW?

Living in the bay area, I’m able to support the Cowboys on the road when they play San Jose State and Fresno State. I also attend Alumni Association events at those games and stay active with Cowboy fans in the Bay Area. I also have been able to stay in touch with my roots in Wyoming by giving to the Alumni Association and to scholarships that help students who share similar interests with me. 

What is your favorite memory from your days at UW?

The friendships were the best part! I met some people the very first weekend of college at an Honors picnic and they became lifelong friends that I still get together with, even 13 years after graduation.  The campus life at UW was so great and provided a real feeling of community as I was able to get to know my professors and other students and have fun at games and homecoming events.

If you are interested in nominating someone to be featured in the alumni spotlight, please email