University of Wyoming Features Substantial Scholarships and Unique Opportunities

November 10, 2016

blog640.jpg

Marissa Hegy and Finley McIlwaine had several top options when it came to picking a college. Ultimately, the choice came down to the right fit, and some amazing opportunities from the University of Wyoming. Here's why UW is the right choice for you.

1. Why UW?

UW continues its tradition of being one of the nation’s best values, while still providing world-class education and research opportunities. Hegy and McIlwaine are both standout undergraduate students in the College of Engineering and Applied Science.

“When deciding on my school, I narrowed it down to picking between the University of Wyoming and Michigan State University,” says Hegy, who hails from Sheridan, and studies architectural engineering.

“Money wasn’t a deciding factor because I won both the University of Wyoming Trustees’ Award and the Michigan State University STARR Charitable Foundation Scholarship, both of which are essentially full rides. Many people expected me to take the Michigan State scholarship because it’s a more expensive school and the scholarship is more competitive. However, Michigan State didn’t have an architecture or architectural engineering program at all, so I would have had to pick a different major. It came down to UW being able to provide me with the program I wanted.”

A Cheyenne native, McIlwaine is pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering. He takes part in groundbreaking research, as he is involved in the Belmont Energy Research Group (BERG) to study improved combustion technologies.

“Most of my involvement at the college has come as a direct result of my undergraduate research,” he says. “(Having accepted) the Trustees' Award just feels like the icing on the cake at this point as it's making this amazing, incredibly involved, higher education completely free for me. I am so thankful to have been chosen for this.”

2. What awards are available for engineering students at UW?

Trustees’ Scholars Award recipients are evaluated on their academic excellence (high school GPA, test scores, and curriculum rigor). The Trustees’ Scholars award, when combined with the Hathaway Honors award, provides the equivalent cost of tuition and mandatory fees (for actual credit hours taken per semester, excluding summer sessions), room and meals.

Both Hegy and McIlwaine also were accepted into the Undergraduate Engineering Scholars Program through the CEAS. That program offers students an opportunity to join active research teams conducting world-class research. Recipients are evaluated on their academic excellence, including high school GPA, test scores and curriculum rigor. It provides $6,000 of annual funding to help cover the cost of tuition, room and board and associated fees. The award is renewable for an additional three years for a total scholarship of $24,000.

3. How has the Trustees’ Award benefitted you?

“I had four other full-ride scholarships offered to me, so if I hadn’t I received the full ride to go to UW, I wouldn’t be here because my parents expected me to be financially independent when it came to college,” Hegy says. “The Trustees’ Award basically pays for 18 credit hours of tuition, an unlimited meal plan and the cost of a double-occupancy dorm room. The URS award provides me with an opportunity to receive $2,000 for research or academic trips. I’m saving that for when I have a little bit more experience with architectural engineering in order to maximize the benefits. All in all, they are pretty awesome scholarships.”

McIlwaine had other choices when it came to higher education, but made his decision based upon UW’s unbeatable qualities.

“I chose UW over other schools because the Trustees' Award was such an amazing offer that no other college could match,” McIlwaine says. “To receive the quality education that UW can provide and so close to home was an unbeatable offer.”

Learn more about the Trustees’ Scholars Award here (http://www.uwyo.edu/admissions/scholarships/residents/trustees.html).

Don’t wait – the deadline to apply, send your official transcripts and test scores to UW is no later than Dec. 1!

Learn More About UW!