Student Profile: Heidi Hanekamp

April 21, 2017
    honors-heidi.jpg
    At UW, Heidi Hanekamp is able to study science and music, as well as take on leadership roles.

Heidi Hanekamp, senior, molecular biology and physiology with minors in music and honors

Many pre-med students wouldn’t get the opportunity to take classes like Art and Culture of Bali. That diversity is one of the reasons Heidi Hanekamp of Laramie, Wyo., enjoys the Honors Program. “The Honors Program has allowed me to take classes that branch out from my major,” she says. “It’s an opportunity to make you a more well-rounded person. Also through the Honors Program, I went to the University of Glasgow in Scotland for six months. That experience was amazing.”

Hanekamp also found diversity in her areas of study and involvement, which have included undergraduate research on genetics, swim club, symphony orchestra and chamber orchestra, SPURS Sophomore Honorary, Mortar Board senior honors organization and Alpha Epsilon Delta Health Preprofessional Honor Society.

“A big reason I came to UW is that I could do music and my academic fields at the same time,” she says. Here, Hanekamp was able to study with an excellent violin professor while being pre-med—something that’s not possible at many larger universities.

“The opportunity to get involved in a lot of different organizations is really outstanding at UW,” Hanekamp says. “I think the leadership experience that I’ve gotten through being president 
    of Mortar Board and Alpha Epsilon Delta has been really valuable to me.”

Hanekamp’s advice to students considering UW: “I would tell them to definitely take a second look at UW. I applied to a lot of different schools. Taking in the financial aspect as well as the quality of the school, I realized I could go to an equally academically excellent school for $60,000 less. I’ve really been happy with UW and the classes I’ve taken, and the professors have been excellent.”