Student Profile: Alexandra Howell

April 21, 2017

Alexandra Howell came to UW from Morrill, Neb., influenced by strong family recommendations and the energy systems major she was looking for. Here, she discovered a world of opportunities.

“I attended the University of Hull in Yorkshire in the United Kingdom as

studyabroad-alexandra.jpg
    Alexandra Howell (far right) stands with two students from Germany in front of Edinburgh castle during her semester in Scotland. (Courtesy Photo)

an exchange student during my fall 2016 semester,” Howell says. “Additionally, I had the opportunity to travel and experience many amazing placing and cultures, including London, Edinburgh, Loch Ness, Stonehenge and several others.”

The University of Hull is one of UW’s numerous exchange partner universities, which means students pay the same tuition rate as they do during a semester at UW. “All of my classes were fascinating,” Howell says. “They helped connect a lot of topics I had already learned about in the United States to an international scale. I feel they will be very helpful in my future endeavors.

“It is true what they always tell you about foreign exchange semesters: They are amazing, eye-opening experiences,” she says.

The International Programs Office helped Howell find the right university with the programs she was looking for and also provided scholarships. In addition to study abroad, Howell is involved with many other aspects of life at UW, including WYO-Gold Student Alumni Association; Women in Mathematics, Science and Engineering; Fish N’ Chicks fly-fishing club; intramural sports; student work; and undergraduate research. “I have worked in the computer labs at the College of Engineering and Applied Science under Cheryl Hilman for the majority of my college career, an experience that I have learned a great deal from,” she says. In the summer of 2016, she began research with mechanical engineering Assistant Professor Erica Belmont in combustion technologies, then picked the research back up this spring and plans to continue it during her master’s work in mechanical engineering at UW. 

“One the things I appreciate most about UW is the close-knit relationships of students, professors and departments,” Howell says. “The faculty and staff care about the students and work hard to give them every opportunity to succeed.”

Learn more about Study Abroad