Student Profile: Adrienne Mackenzie

April 21, 2017
    honors-adrienne.jpg
    Adrienne Mackenzie enjoys participating in student organizations, including Cowboy Country Swing Club, which hosts weekly dances.

Raised by a single mother, Adrienne Mackenzie, of Wright, Wyo., had to consider cost as a major issue when she chose a college. The Trustees’ Scholars Award helped seal the deal for Mackenzie, who has a strong family history at UW. Now finishing her freshman year as an honors student, Mackenzie is happy with her decision.

“The Honors Program has been a lot of fun,” she says. “We get to take exclusive classes that are just for the honors kids. I’m really enjoying the Freshmen Honors Colloquium. We get to read classics, studying history through the lens of literature.

“I think there is a lot of emphasis on personal growth throughout the Honors Program. They want to expand your horizons and make you look at things from another perspective,” Mackenzie continues. “If you’re in the Honors Program, you also have the opportunity to be a part of WHO, the RSO for honors. They do all sorts of fun activities. I’ve had a blast with honors and am glad I joined it.”

Like many freshman, Mackenzie has switched majors. The fact UW offers more than 200 areas of study makes it easy to find a quality program that fits students’ interests. She also plans to study abroad and appreciates UW’s support for these programs.

Mackenzie enjoys having classes with UW’s international students—who hail from close to 90 different countries—and her First-Year Seminar. “We were learning about other cultures, so once a week we sat down with someone from a different country and talked with them,” she says of her seminar. “I see my own culture in a different way now. Expanding my horizons has been a huge part of college for me, and it’s been a lot of fun to get to learn new things and meet new people.

“I didn’t expect to feel so at home at UW so quickly,” Mackenzie says. She credits that feeling to UW’s size, its Cowboy Connect program that kicks off the year and joining RSOs.

“There’s a real sense of community,” she says. “I think in particular I’ve had a lot more one-on-one interactions with my professors than I was expecting. I’ve learned more as a result of that.”