September Alumni Spotlight

September 18, 2017

professional photo of janet w    bkg.jpg

Janet Killian, Bachelor of Music, 1975, owner of Killian Florist in Laramie, Wyoming

Janet has been certified by the Society of American Florists, and is one of only three individuals in the state of Wyoming to have earned accreditation by the American Institute of Floral Design. She is a member of the Floral Association of the Rockies, and secretary of the Teleflora Rocky Mountain Unit. She stays connected to the community by singing in the civic choir and directing the choir of St. Matthew’s Cathedral, which she has been doing since 2002.

How has your career allowed you to give back to UW?

As a floral designer, I have been privileged to work with individual colleges and the university as a whole to celebrate graduations, banquets, Cowboy Joe events, and even the opening of the [Marian H. Rochelle] Gateway Center. I have been able to meet so many great people; this is the most rewarding part. I take great pride in the trust these folks put in me as an alumna as well as a floral designer.

What are you currently doing in your career?

In July, I was awarded the AIFD accreditation, which is basically a PhD in floral design. It involved over two years of tests and competitions. This award gives me the opportunity to be a creative ambassador to Laramie, the Diocese of Cheyenne and our great state. I believe it will open more doors to me as a florist and will lead me to achieve even greater things.

What led you to get involved in the floral industry?

My parents started Killian Florist on Third Street in 1947, and I worked in the shop from the time I was old enough to push a broom! After my father passed, I took more of a leadership role. My mother retired in the early 1980’s, and I began running the shop. We will be celebrating 70 years in October!

Killian Florist is located at 312 S. Third Street in Laramie.  They can be found online at http://www.killianflorist.com

If you are interested in nominating someone to be featured in the alumni spotlight, please email [email protected]