The Reason I Chose the University of Wyoming

March 30, 2017

To think back to my senior year of high school now that I am almost done with college is weird to me. I have come a long way since graduating from Pueblo East to now almost being done with college. The choice of coming to the University of Wyoming has affected me in such a positive way over the last four years.

The Choice

I actually had not heard of UW until my best friend had graduated from high school and decided to come up here for civil engineering through the Daniels Fund scholarship program. This played a huge factor into what colleges I had applied to, which was not many. I actually only applied to two universities: Colorado State University-Pueblo and UW.

Being accepted into both, it was an easy choice for me to decide to come up here since my friend was planning to stay here until he graduated from the engineering program. The plan was for me to be his roommate and from there we would finish school close to the same time.

Orientation

When I came up for summer orientation, I enjoyed the size of the campus. This campus was not huge, but rather easy to navigate and easy to reach your classes in about 15 minutes. This was a huge benefit because I was afraid of having to leave a half-hour early to go to classes.

My orientation leaders also seemed very thrilled to be attending the university and just very happy. Of course, during summer orientation, Laramie is nice and warm. They did inform us of the cold weather, and I laughed it off — I regret that a little bit.

Overall, everyone that I had met who had attended UW seemed like it was the best decision that they had ever made, and I wanted to experience that feeling.

Cost

The cost to attend UW with out-of-state tuition was the same price for in-state tuition at CSU-P. This helped with my choice because I wanted to spread my wings a little and meet new people, while still getting to room with my best friend. 

lipitz thomas-1.jpg

Looking Back

I do not regret only applying to two universities or choosing UW, especially as I near graduation. Some of the experiences and lessons that I have learned since being up here is something I know I could not get if I would have stayed home.

This university has taken me in as one of their own; every faculty member wants to see you succeed. This feeling of home is what makes this town and university such a great place to attend.

Without coming to the University of Wyoming I would not have learned to meet new people or learned the real value of getting a college education. The biggest thing that has shaped me while being at the University has been my friends, they always push me to graduate and never be satisfied. I wouldn't be where I am now if it wasn't for them.