Apply to the University of Wyoming

    Go For Gold.

    The University of Wyoming offers a world-class education in the small community of Laramie, Wyoming. Founded in 1886, the university each year welcomes more than 14,000 students from all 50 states and 90 countries. As a land-grant university, we are dedicated to serving the state of Wyoming and producing graduates who go on to be global leaders. Here you can study everything from agronomy to zoology, criminal justice to theatre and dance.

    Subscribe to Email Updates

    Recent Posts

    Scholarship Opportunities for Transfer Students

    February 21, 2017

    Are you a student looking to transfer to the University of Wyoming but are unsure about your scholarship options? Here’s some good news! Whether you’re coming from a Wyoming community college, a different state or even a different country, UW offers many great scholarship opportunities for transfer students like you.


    Hathaway Scholarships for transfer students

    Students who have received the Hathaway Scholarship from a Wyoming community college have the option to use their scholarship at UW. Students must provide a Hathaway transcript from the Financial Aid Office at their community college, which must then be sent to the University of Wyoming Financial Aid Office. Check here for more information about Hathaway Scholarship requirements for transfer students.

    John W. Hoyt Scholarship

    For students transferring from a Wyoming Community College with an Associate’s Degree, the John W. Hoyt Scholarship is an option.** This $1000 annual scholarship provides support for up to four semesters or up to the student’s first bachelor’s degree, and is available for students who maintain full-time enrollment (12 semester hours.) To be eligible for this scholarship, transfer students must have a cumulative transfer GPA of at least 3.40. For more information about the requirements for the John W. Hoyt Scholarship, click here.

    ** Spring 2017 is the final semester the Hoyt Scholarship will be awarded. It is to be replaced by the Wyoming Transfer Award.

    The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) for Transfer Students

    The Western Undergraduate Exchange Award is available for transfer students who have earned an associate’s degree and a minimum GPA of 3.40 and who are from a WUE state (AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, ND, OR, SD, UT, WA). This award allows non-resident transfer students from WUE states to pay 150% of the resident tuition rate for up to two years while attending UW. This is an annual value of $9,675! (Approx. $9,300 value for Spring 2017.) To learn more about the WUE Award, click here.

    UW Transfer Award

    Beginning in Fall 2017, UW will offer the UW Transfer Award to incoming transfer students. This scholarship will be available to incoming resident, non-resident**, and international transfer students who do not qualify for the WUE rate. Students must have an associate’s degree, as well as a minimum GPA of 3.40. The UW Transfer Award provides support for up to four years or until the first bachelor’s degree. Full-time enrollment and a 3.0 GPA must be maintained in order to keep this award. For more details about the UW Transfer Award, check here.

    ** excluding Nebraska residents.

    Nebraska Transfer Scholars Award

    If you’re a cornhusker, you might be eligible for the Nebraska Transfer Scholars Award. This scholarship is available to Nebraska residents who are transferring to UW with an associate’s degree and allows students to pay 150% of resident tuition—an annual value of $9,675! Applicants should also have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.4 and must maintain full-time enrollment. For more information about requirements for the Nebraska Transfer Scholars Award, look here.


    Remember to keep an eye on the Transfer Student Scholarship webpage for up-to-date information about all of the scholarship opportunities available for transfer students. You can also check out these great blog posts which might answer some of your questions about being a transfer student at UW:

    Why You Should Transfer to the University of Wyoming

    How to Transfer to the University of Wyoming

    Tips for University of Wyoming Transfer Students

    Transfer Student Profile: Big Adjustments, Bigger Success