Freshman Perspective: Week One, Winter is Coming

September 20, 2016

Social media sites like Buzzfeed have the first week of college as a freshman down to a science. From the emotional goodbyes, to the hectic zoo of the first day of classes, it’s funny scrolling through those posts now realizing my first week experiences can be boiled down to a few amusing, but brutally honest gifs.

The one piece of advice any alumni can give you is to look at the location of your classes before you’re flustered on the first day of school. I might add to that thinking about how you would describe yourself as an animal to prepare for the countless icebreakers thrown in every class. Thinking that growing up in Laramie automatically meant I knew the UW campus like the back of my hand, I thought I would be able to find my classes with ease. Boy was I wrong. Yes, I was the stereotypical freshman on campus who walked into the wrong classroom a couple of times (sorry Macroeconomics). Yes, I did have to pull up a map of campus a few times-- ok, I mean a lot -- but at least on my phone and not all Indiana Jones style trying to find the lost ark. I felt like I was part of a "try not to cringe challenge," only the roles were reversed and people were trying not to cringe at me.

Despite my bringing this freshmen stereotype to life, I could not be happier about my first week of college. Of course, it is a lot to settle into, but I find myself loving it more everyday. Getting involved on campus has been one of my major priorities as in joining a lot of clubs, which is a little crazy, but I have been dragging my new-found friends along with me. I have been enjoying my classes, but I’m still waiting for the incoming workload.

school-meme.jpg

I am so excited to see what the rest of semester holds for me and am proud to be part of the brown and gold family.

*Meme Credit: Worth1000.com