RSO Feature of the Week: UW Rodeo Team

December 21, 2017

By: Leann Bentley

The University of Wyoming Rodeo Team dates back to 1949, when the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association was formed. Over the years, the team has won several regional and national championships.

The team competes at ten regional rodeos over the season, spanning across the states of Wyoming, Colorado and Nebraska.

I spoke with Madison Clark, who is an Agriculture Communications major about her involvement in the team and her favorite parts of UW.20140711_TCB3352.jpg

1. Tell us about your RSO. 

The University of Wyoming Rodeo Team has been up and running since the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association was formed in 1949. Individuals and the team together has had countless regional and national championships over the years.

2. What activities does your RSO do each year? 

The rodeo team competes at 10 regional rodeos throughout the school year, across Wyoming, Colorado and Nebraska. We practice our rodeo events year round in hopes of qualifying for the National College Finals Rodeo held annually in June, and we hold our own rodeo, the Laramie River Rendezvous each spring. 

3. What made you choose UW? 

I initially chose UW to compete on the rodeo team, and for the fact that it had the major I wanted to study, agricultural communications. It is also a family tradition, with my father and both of my brothers being alumni of the college.

4. What are your favorite parts about your college? Learn more about the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources

My favorite part about my college, includes the small size, which makes it very accessible to become involved in the clubs and activities the college has to offer. I may be biased, but I think it feels more like a community than any other college would.

5. What would you recommend for a high school senior who is interested in UW? 

I would recommend for them to go on a college visit because after someone visits UW it is hard to not want to attend school here. I would also tell them to keep their mind open when it comes to what they want to study, since the University has so many options to explore. If they are interested in the rodeo team, I would suggest they visit the Hansen Arena which is the team’s practice facilities.

6. What's one thing only UW students know or experience?

One thing only UW students know is how easy it is to acclimate to this university and the town of Laramie. I really do not think I could’ve adapted this well anywhere else, and I will always be happy that I chose to extend my education at the University of Wyoming.