Education in India and Tortoises and Hares in East Africa

January 20, 2017

IMG_9791.jpgSarah (Katie) Guffey (PhD in Education) from Springdale, NC traveled to Coimbatore, India to conduct comparative research on college and K-12 science curriculum. She notes, “[t]his field grant allowed me to build relationships and collaborate with faculty from science disciplines from across the spectrum at Avinashilingam University. These partnerships with STEM faculty will facilitate future collaborations in my academic career at UW and professional career as a science teacher educator.” Bethann Merkle (MFA in Creative Writing) from Choteau, MT traveled to East Africa in order to connect with researchers and Kenyans to tell “the ecologically true story” of the tortoise and the hare. “CGS funding was critical to provide these invaluable in-person interviews and field observations – my work will now include indigenous lore and natural history explanations of tortoises and hares which I did not even anticipate investigating before traveling to Kenya. Indigenous knowledge is an avenue I will now explore when I visit Arizona’s Sonoran Desert this winter.”

Photo: Katie Guffey, PhD Candidate in Education, Works with Colleagues in India Comparing Science Education Practices.