Calling All Outdoor Enthusiasts

February 09, 2018

By: Shanna Urlacher

Exposure to new adventures

If you are an outdoors enthusiast and want exposure to new adventures, then the University of Wyoming is the perfect fit for you. Access to Medicine Bow National Forrest and Curt Gowdy State Park are within 30 miles of Laramie, which provides ample opportunities for students to enjoy outdoor activities year-round. In fact, UW was ranked as the 12th best outdoors school in America.

I’m currently a junior and will graduate in May 2019, with a double major in journalism and Spanish. Being born and raised in Wyoming, the decision to attend UW was the choice that made the most sense to me. What guided my final decision? If the Hathaway Scholarship was my only reason, then I would be lying.

Many other factors contributed to my decision to attend UW. I am an outdoors enthusiast and knew that going to college in Laramie would allow me to deepen my passion for the great outdoors. The decision to opt outside has always been easy for me and I wanted to attend a university that would allow me to experience more of what I love.

No matter what outdoor activities suit your fancy, Laramie will exceed your expectations with flying colors. If you’re not familiar with the surrounding area or don’t have the right gear, the UW Outdoor Program is an excellent resource. They rent gear to you and have a variety of guided trips at affordable rates.IMG_8177.jpg

Outdoor Program Opportunities

During my first semester, I signed up for a guided backpacking trip through the Outdoor Program. The trip was a great opportunity for me to meet new people and become familiar with a different area of Wyoming. The guides were extremely knowledgeable and were patient with those who had never backpacked before.

Backpacker Magazine ranked UW as the 3rd best college in the nation for hiking and outdoor activities, which was proven to be true during my adventure. We hiked through the Platte River Wilderness, which is mostly situated in Medicine Bow National Forrest. The route closely followed the North Platte River, which allowed for easy navigation and breathtaking views.

At UW, outdoors enthusiasts can easily pursue their passion and experience more adventures. From hiking and backpacking to rock climbing and mountain biking, Laramie always has you covered. Attending UW has allowed me to opt outside and experience adventures of a lifetime.

Apply Now