Alumni Profile: Ryan McConnaughey

April 24, 2017
    alumni-ryan.jpg
    Ryan McConnaughey thanks UW for a well-rounded education. (Courtesy Photo)

Alumnus Ryan McConnaughey is on the forefront of the effort to diversify Wyoming’s economy and create new businesses in the state. The company he works for, McGinley Orthopedics, is a medical device manufacturing company housed in UW’s Wyoming Technology Business Center Casper Area Incubator. “As a company, it is our mission to employ advanced engineering, materials and software to address the nation’s foremost health-care challenge in the 21st century: improving patient outcomes while controlling costs,” he says. “In my role, I oversee all facets of our quality management and certifications for general and medical device manufacturing, as well as all external communication efforts.”

McConnaughey landed the job after working as a field representative and grants coordinator for U.S. Rep. Cynthia Lummis and earning his master’s degree in agricultural economics from New Mexico State University. He believes UW helped prepare him for his career: “I am often met with surprise when I tell people I received a degree in agricultural business. However, I believe it is a testament to the quality of education I received at UW. Agricultural business provided me with a well-rounded education based in technical competence, professional development, problem solving and communication skills that have translated into a successful career path regardless of the industry in which I work.”

McConnaughey’s experiences outside the classroom also made an impact, including the Associated Students of UW, where he worked with other students to create what is now the Service Leadership and Community Engagement office. McConnaughey also represented UW as a National Western Stock Show scholar for two years and served as an agambassador for the college.

“UW is set apart by the relationships that result from a close-knit campus like we have in Laramie,” McConnaughey says. That community includes professors, business connections and fellow students. “These relationships were possible because of UW’s small class sizes, but also the culture of connection and support for success on campus. Faculty and staff genuinely care about students, and that culture of caring is apparent across the university and was a cornerstone in my experience.

“My advice to students choosing UW is to get involved on campus and in the community,” McConnaughey says. “The options are endless, and you will gain experiences that propel your personal successes and make memories that will last a lifetime.”