Alumni Profile: Richard Lynch

April 24, 2017
    alumni-richard.jpg
    Richard and Marilyn Lynch recently donated to create an excellence fund at UW. (Courtesy Photo)

Richard Lynch began his career right out of college at ARCO and spent 34 years with BP and ARCO before joining Hess in 2014. “Throughout my career I have pursued domestic and international roles of increasing responsibility to build my technical skills, business acumen, cultural awareness and leadership abilities,” he says. “Due to my personal interest in drilling and completions, major projects and international travel, I sought work in multiple geologic basins and all types of hydrocarbon reservoir settings across the globe.”

At Hess, Lynch is responsible for the global delivery of all field development, major infrastructure projects and well construction across the company’s portfolio.

Lynch’s highly successful international career began with a strong foundation at UW. “UW prepared me for my professional and personal life by teaching me how identify issues, solve problems, listen carefully, embrace change, respect different points of view, be humble, have strong resolve and the courage speak up when others won’t,” he says.

At UW, he enjoyed playing intramural sports, watching NCAA Division 1 sports and leading in the Society of Petroleum Engineers activities while taking full advantage of the outdoor recreation nearby, including skiing, fishing, rock climbing and hunting.

Lynch gives back to UW by serving on the Petroleum Engineering Advisory Board, and he and his wife recently donated to create Richard and Marilyn Lynch Engineering Dean’s Excellence Fund. Excellence funds like the Lynches’ are important because they provide unrestricted funding that allow the university to go from good to great.

“I am a Wyoming boy at heart,” he says. “As of last count, I have moved 19 times, worked in 22 countries and still proudly claim, ‘I went to the University of Wyoming.’ ”