Alumni Profile: Jessica Schlicting

April 24, 2017
    alumni-jessica.jpg
    Student internships helped Jessica Schlicting land her job at Shell. (Courtesy Photo)

Jessica Schlicting landed her job at Shell before she even graduated, thanks to two student internships and an on-campus interview.

“I provide 24/7 support for the refinery,” Schlicting says of her current position. “I help with trouble shooting some of the refinery processes and with optimization and energy efficiency. It’s challenging, it’s pretty fast paced, and I love the people that I work with. I couldn’t have asked for a better role here.”

Schlicting serves on the industry advisory board for the Department of Chemical Engineering at UW. “What I really like about UW is that the class sizes are small, so you get a lot of face time with the professors, which I don’t think is true at larger universities in this country,” she says. “It allows for a really good learning environment.”

She also appreciates UW’s Center for Advising and Career Services, where she received resume and interview preparation help and attended job fairs. 

As a student, Schlicting participated in the American Institute of Chemical Engineers student chapter and Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society, including attending regional and national conferences. She found these experiences enhanced her learning and allowed her to network with engineers and students nationwide.

“Attending UW is one of the best decisions I made,” Schlicting says.

“The scholarship opportunities that UW offers are great, and tuition is affordable. You can more easily shine in an environment like UW because it’s smaller, and there are more opportunities available.”