Alumni Profile: Ben McKay

April 24, 2017
    alumni-ben.jpg
    Ben McKay made lasting connections at UW that helped him find a rewarding career.

For Ben McKay, the relationships he made at UW not only helped him land a great career, but they also enabled a stellar learning environment and created lifelong friends. “Looking back at my college career, I would not trade my experiences at UW for anything,” McKay says. “The network that I was able to build—because of the fact that UW is more tight-knit than a lot of universities—has been absolutely invaluable to me.”

As a College of Business ambassador, McKay met Handel Information Technologies CEO Even Brande, a UW alumnus who serves on the advisory boards of UW’s College of Business and Department of Computer Science. “We found we had some of the same interests in business helping government, and that’s how I landed here as a project manager,” McKay says.

Handel creates software and technological solutions for the juvenile justice system and tribal governments. As a project manager, McKay oversees system designs and customization for Handel clients.

“I think one of the things I enjoy most about it is that I’m never doing the same thing every day because of the diversity of things that we do—from designing systems to going out and training customers to addressing support issues,” McKay says.

He credits his time at UW in preparing him to succeed in the workforce. “The student leadership opportunities that I had, not only in student organizations but also in student government, were invaluable to me,” he says. “The classes that I took dealt with subject matter that I still go back to today.”

In Alpha Kappa Psi, the business fraternity, he made lifelong relationships. In the classroom, he had access to world-class professors. “The professors in my field at UW are at the top of their field,” McKay says. “That expertise really translates to students. We never had to take classes from graduate students. The professors were always accessible to us.”

As part of his studies, McKay took a faculty-led course to Argentina and Chile studying international business.

“My wife and I have made it a point to stay involved because of the fact that we loved our experiences so much when we were there,” McKay says. “To this day I am more and more convinced that the university offers a world-class education at a value to students that is not able to be beaten by any other institution.”