Create your own path; Don't be afraid to be unique|UW College of Business Alumni

December 31, 2015

By: Ian T. Temte | Alumni of the College of Business

Ian Temte

• Ian T. Temte
    • Age: 24
    • UWYO COB grad year: 2015
    • Degrees:
      • Finance (B.S.)
      • Banking (minor)
      • Marketing (B.S.)
    • Current Employment
    • Financial Analyst (Warren FCU)

I struggled in writing this blog because I wanted to give great advice. I had a hard time with this because I was not sure if I had anything great to tell you. I guess what I came up with is something for you NOT to do.

You may feel pressure or overwhelming amounts of advice to study in certain areas. Everyone wants you to pick one interest or a single major. Just remember: You are the only person who understands why you are in school. It might take you forever to get to that understanding, but the only person it needs to make sense to should be you.

I couldn’t make sense of the direction I wanted to go in school, when it hit me. I wanted to do more that ‘they’ were telling me was normal. I wanted to work in finance, but not in accounting. I wanted to work for a big financial company, but not sell life-insurance (there is nothing wrong with that career, but I interviewed for it and found it was definitely not for me). I wanted to fit in the financial industry, but still greatly understand how the marketing aspect of it worked.

Every time I voiced these interests, I was promptly told how long that would take to study, or that those areas don’t work together often. But that’s when I said, “Screw it!” I had passion for both areas, and decided to differentiate myself and learn it all.

I didn’t want to decide what to study, but instead to study it all. And what happened as soon as I made that decision is that I started to analyze each area of study with the others. Every prospect employer I spoke with respected my diversity, even though they may not have understood that choice. I began to interview much better, and honestly began to impress more people with my decision than I thought I would.

When graduation rolled around, I had been on the job-trail for months already. It’s amazing what actually being done with a bachelor’s degree does for you on the job hunt. As soon as I could change the resume line from “anticipated graduation” to “graduation date” I had more interviews than I know what to do with. When Warren Federal Credit Union interviewed me, they loved that I could participate in finance and marketing discussions and decisions. My second interview was with the finance team, but I put a marketing spin on the data homework they gave me. They loved it!

The end result: not making up my mind in school led me to where I am now. I am trusted and consulted by both marketing and finance departments at my current job. I am involved in multi-million dollar decisions in finance, and designing products and marketing them to our members.

I encourage you to be at the University of Wyoming for YOUR reasons, and to study here in the most unique way you can. Don’t feel forced to pick just one path.

If there are any questions please feel free to comment below.