UWYO College of Business Hawaii Student | Why Wyoming?

December 17, 2015

By: Gabriella Gualano | College of Business Student

Who am I?

Why hello, my name is Gabriella Gualano and I am a senior at the University of Wyoming. My major is Agroecology under the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, along with minors in Business Marketing and Horticulture. I am from the island of Oahu, Hawaii. Yes, I know many people drop their jaws when they hear I came from the warm tropics to…the cold, dry, non-oxygenated town of Laramie. But, hey, I’m here on my fourth year, so there must be something that got me to stay right?

How did I end up here?

Back in high school I applied to an all-women’s college in California, the University of Hawaii, Colorado State (Which I now know this is Wyoming’s Rival) and the University of Wyoming. When it came down to decision time I had a few things that had pointed towards UW as the right choice. First was I realized that college is a four-year adventure and that I needed to go somewhere new without many Hawaii students. Secondly, was following my older sister to the schools she attended from elementary to high school. This allowed me to be comfortable with any school I went to because I would already know the campus and many of the faculty and staff before I could claim their alma mater. So I wanted to challenge myself and see how I’d do going somewhere I haven’t been before. Wyoming was the perfect place. It didn’t have a lot of Hawaii students; it provided the studies that I was interested in, and was a place myself nor my family had ever been before. So I googled mapped Laramie (which landed me in some area of west Laramie, looked really scary at the time) and decided to accept admission to UW.

Difference it has made on me

As a freshman I made a great choice in joining a FIG (Freshman Interest Group) program, which allowed me to see Jackson Hole and bond with a wonderful group of twenty new students at UW. That helped with getting me a strong group of friends to turn to if I needed it. The major difference from Hawaii to Wyoming was the weather, and the traffic. It was amazing to think that my friends and I could decide to go out and eat five minutes before hand and get to Sweet Mellissa’s in another 5 minutes. But other than that Laramie and Wyoming are quite the same. We both have issues about supplies being imported in by boat or car, which snow causes more problems than the ocean does sometimes, and the people. People here in Wyoming are precious. Coming from being in the College of Agriculture, many have a great perspective on life and I like that. Which is ultimately why I stayed. I enjoyed the friendships I’ve made and the professors I’ve had.

Favorite Class and the Impact it had on me

Well let me tell you all my professors have been wonderful. I’ve taken a wide variety of courses due to dipping into the College of Agriculture, the College of Business and just my common cores. Though one really great one that I have to say has made a great impact on me was my sales class. It was a three hour course offered once a week from 7pm to 10pm at night. I heard it was a good one but didn’t know I’d be learning sales and going to a life class all in one. My professor (who doesn’t like that cause it makes him confused) is a very knowledgeable person on the secrets to living a wonderful life, along with being a good salesperson. One quote that I’d like to leave this blog/anyone who is reading this blog post about is what my professor left me with in his last five minutes of class: “There are all these factors outside your boat, but all that matters is what is inside your boat, so focus on what you can control.”

Though on a serious note, take his class because you’ll be getting more out of it than you’d expect.

gabriella

One appreciation:

One appreciation that I’ve also realized that since Laramie is a small town, those professors that I have encountered, thoroughly love it here, which makes me love it more. I know that when I go into class everyday, that the people that teach me chose to stay and teach here than go to a larger city. So you know that it was a choice to be here than to be here for a job.

We would love to hear your questions or thoughts! #uwyobiz