UW College of Business| WYO NATIVE | Inside Perspective From Mertz | 10 things You Should Know Before College

October 13, 2015

By: Chris Mertz | College of Education Major | Hometown: Evanston, Wyoming

Who am I?

My name is Chris Mertz and I am a Secondary Education major while I’m also receiving a concurrent major in History. Ever since I was in eighth grade I knew I wanted to be a teacher of some sort. It was during my junior year of high school, I was sitting in my U.S. history class and my teacher presented one of the most memorable lectures over the Holocaust and from there that’s when I knew I wanted to teach history! In the Spring 2016 semester I will be doing my residency teaching in Casper, Wyoming while teaching sixth grade geography, then graduating in May 2016. I am also heavily involved in two student-based organizations here at the University of Wyoming. I greatly participate in the College of Education’s honor society, Kappa Delta Pi (KDP). I have been apart of this student organization since I was a sophomore here at the University of Wyoming. During my junior year, I was elected into office of KDP to serve as Treasurer. Then this previous spring semester I was again elected to continue my time as an officer to serve at the vice president. Finally, I serve as the Manager/Coach of the University of Wyoming’s Club Women’s Club Volleyball Team. I have been involved in that since last spring semester and I absolutely love it!

After high school life changes a little bit. You leave your parents, live on your own, pay for school, and you start to grow up a little faster... I want to give some advice on life and school that I wish I know before leaving high school.

10 Things I Wish I Knew Before Leaving High School:

1. How to write a proper paper

a. Being a concurrent History major, we are delegated with the task of writing papers basically on a weekly basis. Transitioning from high school to college, I was very weak in my writing skills and it took a lot of time, critiquing, and practicing to finally get my skills to the point where I feel confident and have received high grades on my assignments.

2. Watching what I eat and drink

a. The trend of gaining the freshman fifteen not only applied, but it doubled itself on me! I was eating like was when I was in high school and it showed! I would have appreciated knowing how to properly maintain a diet.

3. Budgeting

a. This was a lesson hard learned. Spending money nonchalantly was a common trend of mine until I would have $0.13 in my bank account. Preparing for college, it would have been nice to understand the complete importance of budgeting your money and making sure you’re spending it responsibly.

4. Managing Time

a. This is something most people have a difficult time doing either as freshman or seniors in college. Being able to schedule time for friends, class, homework, work, etc. is a task that is obtained through practice.

5. Take Initiative

a. This may be one of the more important traits to adopt when beginning college. Taking an initiative allows you to expand your comfort zone, meet different kinds of people, and you gain experiences that you won’t be able to recreate.

6. Homework

a. I never truly had an understanding of the amount of homework that will be assigned and how it’s on a constant basis. This could relate to #4 in time management because you really do have to delegate a large chunk of your time to homework to succeed in your classes.

7. Cleanliness

a. Keep your living space clean! The cleaner your living environment is, the happier you will be and your ability to focus will strengthen as well! Along with this, keeping yourself clean will also contribute to your success both in and out of the classroom.

8. Professors are there to help!

a. The stigma that professors are just there to teach you for an hour for three days a week is not true. Majority of professors seek to help students who reach out to obtain the help! Plus, if you go to visit a professor during their office hours, they will be able to put a face with a name in class they will seek to help you more often.

9. Have an open mind

a. Don’t approach anything with assumptions. If you assume how something will go, usually you will be disappointed. Approach everything with an open mind and don’t be afraid to try new and uncomfortable things.

10. Have Fun!

a. College is the time of your life and don’t waste your time saying ‘no’ or not seeking adventures. In college, you are finding yourself as person, scholar, and so much more. It’s important to be able to go and have stress relief time away from school and work. It will keep you sane through college!

Please feel free to comment, Give us some advice about life that you wish you knew before college!