So you have questions on your paper? | Improve your skills at the UW College of Business Communications Office

October 06, 2015

BY: Paige Gilbert | Director, Business Communications Office | University of Wyoming College of Business

Who is Paige Gilbert and how did she get here?

When I was young I enjoyed two things very distinctly, The Little House on the Prairie Books (I truly believed that I could, someday, live the life of Laura) and playing school with my younger, and easily persuaded, sister. I was the lively and all-knowing teacher, of course. While I enjoyed many other pursuits, I was an avid soccer player, beach lover, painter and enjoyed classic rock, reading and teaching shaped the woman I am today.

Playing school is a favorite activity for many children and that was no different for me and my sister. Our classrooms existed in so many locations; from my sister’s sunny bedroom to the fragrant climbing tree in our backyard. While she squirmed, sitting at whatever makeshift table we found, I eagerly taught her everything I found important and enticing—why Barbie drove a pink Corvette, the importance of picking peaches off of our tree when they were ripe and sun warm and how to properly maneuver the Cozy Coupe around dad’s tomato plants and mom’s lounge chair. These topics were met with some reluctance and, more often, demonstrations of the knowledge my sister was acquiring. Barbie was an unwilling, yet constantly smiling, participant in many a Corvette careen down the stairs aimed directly at our comfortable and sleepy cat. I tried, I really tried. At least she knows what a good peach looks like.

And then there were the Little House books. I must have read the Little House series at least ten times, yes the entire series…Ten times. There is so much in those books for a young girl to love: adventurous journeys, evolving relationships and the strong bonds of sisterhood. It was through Laura’s writing that I came to know the lovely and harsh beauty of the prairie. Her writing provided vibrant imagery for my mind: one of a prairie fresh, green and dressed in spring and then of a prairie captured and windswept in the depths of frozen winter. Laura also wrote extensively about her close knit family and of the times they gathered together. I too have a close knit family comprised of gregarious Italian-Irish people all vying to be heard, eating, laughing and discussing politics. And Laura eventually became a teacher which I thought was super cool.

I am sure you are wondering why I am giving you all of this personal backstory. You see these two illustrations of my childhood activities, teaching and reading, became the cornerstone of various future endeavors. I grew up investigating all sorts of activities and jobs, from Sales Associate with Aramark to owning and operating a small event business to teaching English. Throughout all of these experiences I had one reoccurring thought: how very much I love to read, and write, and how very much I love to interact with people and help them succeed. Whether I was assisting a client set up a food and beverage order for a trade show or helping a student refine a letter for college admissions, I never felt better than when we reached that “ah ha!” moment and everything we had been working on simply clicked.

I hope that as the new Director of the Business Communications Office at the College of Business that I will have many such moments with the students, faculty and staff. I have started to experience those moments and I feel extremely grateful to be part of someone’s communication process. I encourage you to please come in and see me about writing needs, challenges or perhaps to simply share your favorite story with me.

Please feel free to visit me, my door is always open!

Just the Facts

Services COB Communications Office Offers

1.) Brainstorm Ideas

2.) Identify and analyze your audience and their needs

3.) Develop and refine your thesis statement

4.) Strengthen your arguments

5.) Clarify what is and what is not plagiarism

6.) Develop self- editing strategies

7.) Address stylistic and grammatical concerns

8.) Provide feedback on presentation delivery

My location is BU 161 | Make an Appointment with the College of Business Communications: https://uwyo.mywconline.com | Email cobcom@uwyo.edu