UW College of Business Student Lands Internship in NYC

September 29, 2015

By: Jordan Frost | College of Business, Business Administration Student

Who am I:

My name is Jordan Frost and I am currently a senior at the University of Wyoming majoring in Business Administration. I have always had an interest in going into the real estate industry after graduation, but living in Wyoming has proven difficult to get the opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in the industry. In order to see if this field of work was something I wanted to do, I started applying for internships in the Spring of 2015. This past summer I got the amazing opportunity to intern in New York City at Platinum Properties, a boutique real estate brokerage on Wall Street that specializes in luxury real estate.

What I loved about it:

The best part about this internship was that I got to experience first-hand a variety of situations in which real estate agents encounter on a day to day basis. I wasn’t kept strictly in the office, but had the opportunity to preview million dollar properties alongside Platinum’s agents, and was able hear their initial thoughts on a property and how they would present it to the right client. In addition to these benefits, I loved that I was also able to attend company events, social events, and outside networking events. These were all extremely beneficial in helping me make lasting connections with those in the company, and creating a network in New York City.

The Challenges behind the internship:

Although the job itself did not present many difficulties during the time I was there, I did find it difficult to navigate New York City coming from a small town in Wyoming. This made running errands all over the city difficult and time consuming, but eventually I was able to understand the subway system! I was fortunate enough to not run into too many challenges at my internship thanks to the outstanding support and guidance that was provided by my mentor and everyone in the office.

My Best Advice to you:

The best advice I can give is to do an internship in the field you are interested in. An internship can provide experience, resources, connections, and learning opportunities that you will not get elsewhere. An internship can also offer you insight to jobs that you thought you wanted without having to commit to a full time position.

Good luck on your next internship!

For additional questions please comment below!