UW College of Business Featuring Club Sports | Making a Difference in Students Lives

September 15, 2015

By: Brendon Kozman | University of Wyoming Club Sports President for Rugby | Student

Who I am:

My name is Brendon Kozman and I am currently in my 5th year at the University of Wyoming. After bouncing around from Architectural Engineering to Physics & Astronomy, I have landed in Statistics. I have always had a passion for math and science, but I also have a burning passion for sports, which is why I have ended up in a leadership role for the University of Wyoming Men’s Rugby team. I took the reins from my predecessor just over a year ago and haven’t looked back since, and am currently the President of the club. I am also a part of the Club Sports Council, who oversee all 22 club sports at the University of Wyoming. I love and cherish being in a leadership role and helping to develop all the sports as a whole. My passion for sports wants to see many of these sports eventually become highly competitive sports in the region. We are ambassadors for the university, and want to represent it well by not only winning but acting with class and respect while on the road. Making sure that club sports are well funded and supported is monumental to the success of the programs, so being able to help even the small clubs is a joy of mine.

Why Club Sports are Important at a University:

Club Sports are an essential part of a university in my mind. It gives students a chance to compete at a high level, but not necessarily as high as the NCAA level. Students that still have that competitive edge have a chance to compete against other universities and athletes around the area. It adds a good middle ground between NCAA athletics and intramurals and also allows the student body to get behind some more diverse sports like rugby, cricket, badminton or water polo. Going out and supporting your friends, your roommates, your classmates and maybe even your professors creates a much bigger school spirit. Having the escape of club sports is also a major benefit to club sports. It gives students the chance to get away from their studies and their classes and exercise and compete and get their minds off of school for a while. This has certainly helped me throughout school and will continue to as well.

Leadership Role I have to take:

The leadership role that I take with the rugby team is that of a team manager, but also a traditional president of an organization. I work on things such as organizing itineraries, submitting travel paperwork, setting up fundraisers, managing budgets, attending club sports meetings, and being the liaison between the team and the club sports office. Making sure the team functions and runs smoothly is paramount to my job, but I also have to maintain a positive relationship with club sports officials and management.

Challenges:

Taking on that much responsibility at one time can have its challenges. Trying to balance all that work, along with playing for the team and most importantly being a student can be daunting. If you don’t submit the paperwork on time, your team won’t be able to travel and play. If you decide to practice instead of finishing an assignment your grades can suffer. Your actions can influence a group of 30 guys, and that can be a lot of pressure. Pressure is probably the biggest challenge of being in a leadership role with club sports.

Success Factors:

You really have to be able to balance your time, and know what your priorities are. You don’t want to have to miss practice to complete school work, so you have to plan ahead and know when to get things done. You also can’t miss deadlines for club sports. Time management is huge in this position, and is a vital success factor. Also having the passion for the sport, and for your teammates makes a big difference. If you don’t like the sport you are sacrificing so much time for, you won’t be successful.