Advice That all Incoming UW Freshmen Need to Know!

September 01, 2015

By: Jessica Marrow | College of Business Student 2015

Hello to all the UW freshman!

Who I am

My name is Jessica Morrow and I’m currently studying management and marketing at the University of Wyoming. When I was asked to write this blog, I was thinking “why me?” because I am pretty sure I had at least twelve mental breakdowns, I pulled multiple all-nighters, and I failed a couple exams (don’t tell my parents) during my freshman year. I was convinced that my world was coming to an end. Okay, maybe that’s a tad bit dramatic because my first year at UW was amazing. The experiences I’ve had, the people I’ve met, the opportunities I’ve gotten were all possible because of UW. I know college can seem intimidating, but you will figure it out very quickly.

My Experience

Throughout my freshman year, I had many ups and downs. From becoming the Vice President of the American Marketing Association, to losing a close friend, I learned a lot about myself. Each and every one of you will have experiences that teach you a little bit more about yourself. I have evolved into a very different person from who I was back in high school. I have different friends, different opinions, different interests, and a different attitude towards my future. College is an amazing, stressful time, so the best thing to do is to work hard, stay involved, and have fun.

Top Ten Tips

Alright, enough of my mom spiel, these are the top ten things I found necessary to know when going through your freshman year:

1.) Get all of your homework done in a reasonable time. I know from personal experience that procrastinating just leads to more stress and long nights. If you have a paper due in three weeks, don’t be the person to start it the night before it is due. You will regret it, trust me.

2.) Get to know your professors. You know that old saying “professors don’t care about their students”? Well, that is definitely not the case. Most of the professors at UW are willing and eager to help a student out, you just have to put in some effort. Going into a professor’s office hours is not only super helpful, but it also helps you create a relationship with your professor.

3.) Stay involved with on and off campus activities. The organizations I have been involved with changed my entire college experience. I am now the Vice President of the American Marketing Association as well as an active member of the business fraternity on campus, Alpha Kappa Psi. The people I have met through those organizations have become some of my closest friends and biggest supporters. Staying involved also looks good on a resume, just saying.

4.) Always be open to meeting new people. College can be a very stressful time, so surround yourself with people. They will be able to understand and relate to what you are going through. I know that my college experience would’ve been very different if I hadn’t been open to meeting and interacting with new people.

5.) Take care of yourself. What I mean by that is to find healthy ways to deal with the emotions that come along with being a college student. (Work out, eat healthy, get enough sleep, surround yourself with positive people, etc.) Then you can avoid that Freshman 15 and feel good about yourself.

6.) I can’t tell you to stay away from parties, drugs, alcohol, etc., but what I can tell you is to focus on school (I know, another mom speech.) Being social is never a bad thing, but when your social life becomes more important than your school work, that’s when you have a problem. It is very difficult to catch up on schoolwork in college, so make sure that your priorities are straight. You aren’t spending thousands of dollars to go party every night.

7.) Take as many notes as possible. Not only does it help you pick up the material better, but it helps make studying easier. Professors wouldn’t put that information in their lectures if they didn’t find it important.

8.) Take classes outside of your major. You may never know what you’ll end up wanting to do with your life, which is why taking classes outside of you major really helps you figure out what you enjoy doing. It’s okay if you aren’t sure what you want to do. I was a political science major when I first got to school and now look at me, a management and marketing major. I’ve changed my major three times and I’m only a sophomore, so don’t worry, you will figure it out.

9.) Don’t beat yourself up over a bad grade. I can almost guarantee that every student has gotten a grade that they aren’t proud of. It happens to the best of us, but you have to keep moving forward. Don’t let a bad score ruin your life.

10.) The most important thing I want to talk about is to REACH OUT. The University of Wyoming has faced very sad times due to the loss of some amazing students. If you are/or know someone that is struggling, please reach out to friends, counselors, teachers, or family. There is a free counseling service on campus that is amazing. You don’t need to feel alone in a situation. Don’t be afraid to talk to someone.

Well, those are my top ten things to help you survive your freshman year. I hope that this will help you have a fun and successful freshman year! Good luck to everyone.

If you have any questions please comment below!