UW College of Business American Marketing Association| Professional Development Opportunity 2015

August 13, 2015

By| Rahul Dhami | College of Business | Marketing with a Minor in Finance

When I first joined the American Marketing Association at the University of Wyoming, I hadn’t thought of myself one day becoming as involved as I did and holding a leadership position as the organization’s President. Now as I begin my term as President, I have been able to reflect on not only my own growth but also the growth of the association as a whole.

Goals

During my term as the financial officer last year I have held financial and operational responsibilities that many executive officer in similar organization hold, but, now as the President fulfilling my tasks is important, but not as much as reaching my goals for the club. While we have many goals for AMA this upcoming year, I’d like to highlight a few of the ones I am very excited about.

1. Increase Membership – Every organization wants members who will carry on its legacy and ambitions. My aspirations are to conduct more recruitment activities to promote the chapter, especially by collaborating with the College of Business faculty.
    2. Raise Participation – Having many members in an organization is not enough to make it successful. The members need to actively contribute in bettering the organization, and I’d like to implement a system that holds members responsible for participation involving attending meetings, fundraising, and community service which are all integral to the advancement of the club.
    3. Expand Professional Development - A central part of our organization is the highly transitory and applicable skills that our members learn through our professional development program. However, I’d like to optimize the professional skills of our members by offering more opportunities to do market research for company, working on elevator speeches and holding mock interviews, as well as workshops on building resumes and LinkedIn profiles.

The Organization

While we are constantly working on improving our organization to make it the best possible resource for our members, we are proud of all the opportunities our leading organization for marketers currently offers. Our strong presence on the campus at the University of Wyoming is a vantage point, which we use to coordinate better professional events and activities for our members.

We provide the necessary tools, training, and knowledge that our members use to stay well informed about the on-goings in the marketing industry. Students in the American Marketing Association will work on professional development through building resumes, writing cover letters, creating business cards, and gaining networking opportunities. The AMA chapter at UW also receives job opportunities that are sent out to all the members and that anyone in the group can apply for.

We also host social events such as group dinners, BBQs, etc. to promote solidarity and camaraderie amongst our members, and to just have a good time with old and new friends!

The American Marketing Association at UW has been a central part of my professional and career development as well, and I would highly encourage students who are interested in working in the marketing industry, or even those who are interested in self-marketing or gaining general marketing experience to join!

Conference

One of the most rewarding experiences is going to conference. The AMA group will choose 10-12 members to travel to New Orleans to get the experience of a lifetime. Sometime more depending on fundraising! Last year the organization brought in Michael McCullough (CMO of the Miami Heat). All the members from the United States and out of country groups had the privilege to meet him! By joining AMA you will gain professional experience as well as meet new friends and have a great time! We hope to see you this year!

For comments or questions please comment below!