College of Business | Why You Need to Join Alpha Kappa Psi at UW

August 11, 2015

By: Seth Marlow | Accounting Major | President of Alpha Kappa Psi

Who I am:

My name is Seth Marlow and I am the President of Alpha Kappa Psi – Beta Nu chapter for the 2015-2016 school year. “Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.” (Michael Scott – The Office). I am a senior at the University of Wyoming and will be receiving a degree in Accounting, as well as an avid watcher of The Office. I am blessed enough to have been born into an amazing family with three younger siblings, a Mom, and a Dad who have really taught me what is important in life. Growing up with all of them I was comfortable being myself and they always brought out the best in me. That doesn’t mean I was never grounded, oh I was grounded plenty, but it does mean they made me a better person as a result. Aside from my immediate family, I have all of my brothers within the fraternity. As president it is my goal to bring out the best in individuals and help them reach their full potential. Alpha Kappa Psi has absolutely been amazing at doing just this for me. By joining Alpha Kappa Psi, I was surrounded by some of the most amazing and passionate people I have ever met. It is that very passion I am surrounded by everyday that ignites my drive and inspires me to be the best president I can possibly be. Each of them deserves that and then some. All of our members are working towards a similar goal, that being to better themselves as business professionals. Don’t get me wrong, the College of Business does a great job of preparing us on its own, but AKPsi fosters an environment in which everyone can push himself or herself to be better, try new things, and obtain that business sense that transforms a low-level employee into a CEO.

Benefits of joining Alpha Kappa Psi:

Describing the multitude of things that Alpha Kappa Psi can do for you is no easy feat. Sure you can throw it down on your resume and show that you were involved outside of class, but how does one begin to describe the intangible qualities you get as a result of becoming a member? When I go to describe Alpha Kappa Psi, I begin to feel as though I am giving a spiel for some sort of super-pill. How would you like to exude confidence at your next interview? Do you want people to look at you and think, WOW! Now here is a person I need on my team! Do you want to have friends that are everywhere on campus and constantly willing to go out of their way to help you? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then AKPsi may be for you! (Side effects include, but are not limited to, pure awesomeness, a boost in GPA, and significantly higher job opportunities.) I can tell you from personal experience that it provides amazing networking opportunities. We have some of the most fascinating speakers you can find, and they do everything from own a company, to being Vice President of Business Development and Sales for NFL teams. You will also develop life long friendships. We are talking about all of the people you want at your wedding, not just acquaintances. We will help you grow into the best person you can be! I understand not everyone wants to be a CEO, but no matter what your end goal is, AKPsi has the resources to get you there. We have an amazing set of members, officers, as well as faculty that work with us, so this year should easily be the best yet! I understand that it may be a big leap for some to put themselves out there and get to know us, let us get to know them, and really give the Fraternity an honest try, but I am here to say that it may very well be the best thing you ever do. I know it was for me. So please, take a chance on us and we will not let you down. “A comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.” - Unknown

Please leave a comment for further questions or just tell us what you think!

If you would like to join you can contact Seth Marlow at | smarlow@uwyo.edu