UW Alumni Brandon Ewing | Founder and CEO of Once a Cowboy, Always a Cowboy Organization

August 06, 2015

By: Brandon Ewing | Alumni

I first would like to say, I find it an honor to be asked to write a blog for the College of Business at the University of Wyoming. Please allow me to briefly introduce myself. My name is Brandon Ewing and I was fortunate enough to be a student-athlete at the University of Wyoming from 2005-2009. Through hard work, a great coaching staff, and tremendous teammates I was able to make the Mountain West All Conference Team four years in a row and lead the conference in scoring three consecutive years. Those efforts in college led me to heights and places I had no idea existed coming from Chicago.

GROWTH

While playing basketball I developed a passion for business. This passion also helped me discover that I always wanted to be known for more than just basketball. Before officially retiring, with the help of a great support system, I became the Founder and CEO of Once a Cowboy, Always a Cowboy Organization in which we have given scholarships to qualifying seniors attending the University of Wyoming and/or surrounding college. We have donated funds to help fight cancer and also donated goods to homes during the holiday seasons around the great state of Wyoming. Additionally, I’m the Marketing Manager at Laramie GM Auto Center where we average 150-200 vehicle sales per month. Finally, I’m also a personal trainer where I have worked with over 100 young athletes in Wyoming. Even with my past successes, I am still always trying to better myself, and goals help those dreams become reality. My short term goals in 2015 consist of developing my Health and Life Insurance business and investing in Real Estate with partners.

Here are some keys that I believe can plant the seed towards success:

FOCUS

We all will encounter trials and tribulations in life and we all will make mistakes, but the biggest challenge during those times is our ability to remain focused on the end goal. Our minds are very powerful, yet can be distracted very easily. If we are able to control negative thoughts and minimize our distractions to remain focused, the sky's the limit. The key is to remain focused but yet open to new opportunities.

GOALS + WORK ETHIC

It is great to dream big. It is fantastic to swing for the fence. But the bridge that connects the goal to the success is the work ethic. A dream without a plan of action is merely a dream. We

must work extremely hard for what we want out of this beautiful world because what each and every one of us wants can be attainable with the right combinations of goals and work ethic.

Positive Vibe

On this roller coaster ride we call life, it’s key to try our hardest to keep people around us that genuinely would love to see us become successful. Through our hard work day in and day out, having a positive attitude can take us all a very long way in our careers and our daily lives. Negative energy and negative conversations are very contagious, so the more we can keep that to a minimum, life itself will be a lot smoother and on a constant incline.

Conclusion

To bring my blog to an end, allow me to leave you with a quote from my favorite author, Napolean Hill, “You are the master of your destiny. You can control your own environment. You can make your life what you want it to be.” With that being said, I’m rooting for you all and again, Thank you for considering me to write this blog.

Please comment below if you have any further questions or comments!

With Love & Respect,

Brandon Ewing