UW College of Business |Home is where the heart is

July 30, 2015

By: Taite Johnson | Undergrad Student | College of Business

Who I Am:

My name is Taite Johnson, I’m a 22 year old Ag business major, and will be attending my second semester at UW this fall. I transferred up from Texas A&M in the spring of 2015. I was excited that I had the opportunity to attend a large university in Texas. It was very humbling and beneficial experience, however, I feel much more at home at the University of Wyoming. I am very thankful to be at UW mostly in part to the character and like-mindedness of the people and students I am associated with here. I was born and raised in Wyoming and grew up about 15 miles East of Gillette Wyoming.

Business

I knew in high school that I wanted to pursuit a degree in business. I knew it would be beneficial in my career flexibility. I would have a broader understanding and an applicable knowledge base that it offered. My family also encouraged me to look at this degree because of my background in agriculture and the limited business experiences that they exposed me to. The world of business intrigued me at a very young age.

My Own Company

I am currently in the process of starting a company with my two younger brothers; an endeavor which I can already see offers way more obstacles than I had envisioned. From dealing with government red tape to the day to day logistics, this has been a very beneficial learning experience. My biggest advice to undergrads is to make the most of the networking opportunity that college provides. I’ve found that the people you meet and get to know in college are likely to be the same people that you’ll end up doing business with down the road. If I build a strong foundation now with these relationships, I am certain that this will impact my success later on in my business ventures. I have already experienced the benefits that these contacts have allowed both to myself and to those I have had the privilege of getting to know. I feel strongly that a person can never get enough experience in communication skills, so I am constantly striving to improve myself in this area and would encourage undergrads to do the same.

In 5 years

As far as the next 5 years, I see myself graduated from UW with my business degree and working to obtain as much business as I can handle in the way of contracts and sales to companies around the state. I hope to branch out and get my inspection license and a real estate license so that I can have multiple opportunities for income; that can coexist with my main business. The College of Business has been a great source for knowledge, advice, and experience. I would suggest a career path in business to anyone interested in the challenge and opportunity that comes with this degree.