UW Football Player “Learn to sell or work for someone who does.” | Network Marketing

July 16, 2015

By: Dominic Rufran | Undergraduate Student

Who am I

My name is Dominic Rufran and I was a business major at the University of Wyoming. I played football for four years as a wide receiver for UW. I also was involved in the American Marketing Association. My freshman and sophomore year I worked in a network marketing company called World Ventures. Network Marketing is a type of business opportunity that is very popular with people looking for part-time, flexible businesses.

The Truth behind Network Marketing

Personally, I enjoyed the experience I had with Network Marketing. At the time I had a hard time enjoying parts of it. To be successful in network marketing you have to out in a lot of effort to receive the rewards. Most people jump into network marketing thinking that it is some get rich quick scheme. Then when they find out it’s a lot more work than they original thought they quit and talk about how it’s illegal and it is a Ponzi scheme. Most people are uneducated about this subject of business therefore ignorance comes into place. Network Marketing is a legitimate business where I have heard of 20-year-old young adults go from rags to riches from hard work and perseverance. Additionally, I heard of single mom’s with no job and broke to making a substantial passive income for the rest of her life.

Challenging

Network Marketing was one of the hardest things I have ever done. That is very impactful considering my whole life I have been an athlete. It challenged me in ways that I never thought I would be challenged. It forced me to work on my self every day and taught me personal development. Consequently, I am someone who is always looking to learn more and improve myself. My driven mindset is one thing that no one will ever be able to take from me. Network Marketing taught me "if you want something you have to be worth what it is you want." If you want a million dollars then you have to be that person that anyone who wants to be an entrepreneur deserves a million dollars. What are you giving back to this world, for this world to give you that much money?

Learn to Sell or work for someone who does

One of the biggest struggles with network marketing was rejection. This business is essentially your own small business and you have to learn how to sell to be successful. If you don’t like to sell things or are afraid of rejection then multi-level marketing may be challenging. Selling is hard and it if very difficult to get out of your comfort zone at first. However, I learned there are two options in life: 1.) you either learn to sell or 2.) you work for someone who does. Part of the job is to present your product or service to your friends and family; and most of the time they think you are crazy for even joining the industry. They either reject the proposed idea or laugh at it. It takes a special individual to be successful in a multi-level marketing company. There are people who won't believe in you and will be surprised when you are successful. In the end I lost a lot of important relationships in my life because of the required dedication, but it was for the better.

Recommendations

For anyone who wants to be an entrepreneur I would recommend multi-level marketing. It teaches you a few life engaging lessons such as:

1.) How to manage people

2.) How to sell a product professionally and successfully

3.) How to manage yourself (you are your own boss)

If you want to work for someone else for the rest of your life then there is no need to ever pursue something like this. The company I worked with was called World Ventures. They are a traveling multi-level marketing company. My passions directed me in a different direction, therefore I am not longer involved with World Ventures. It challenged me and made me uncomfortable which will help me be more successful in life. I am not passionate about travel, so it is not something that I wanted to continue. My ambition is sports and athletics. So I can now take what I learned from network Marketing and apply it to my passions that I will pursue for the rest of my life!