University of Wyoming College of Business: Preparing Me for Success

June 18, 2015

By: Mikaela Shaw, Miss Wyoming 2015

I came to the University of Wyoming after graduating from high school in Montana. Laramie was a foreign place to me, and I didn’t know ANYONE. I was nervous, scared, and overwhelmed. Like so many of my fellow freshman peers, I didn’t know where my classes were located, yet alone what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Yikes! And as my first few weeks at UW progressed, I began to question my decision to enroll at the University. That sentiment quickly changed, however, when I made the life altering decision to declare my major within the College of Business.
    The first time I entered the state-of-the-art, beautiful College of Business building, I immediately felt at home, and I still consider it a second home of mine today. Through my four plus years within the CoB, I have encountered a truly top-notch education. Knowledge has been presented to and experience by me in ways unimaginable and unfounded anywhere else. Also, opportunities to study abroad and perform research are abundant. In fact, thanks to the support of the University and College, I was able to study abroad at the University of Birmingham (England) for a semester, and I recently completed a marketing research trip to Spain and Portugal. Not to mention, the physical structure housing the College is absolutely breathtaking! Although one may not think the ease of access and aesthetics of a building matter, it does. It provides a sense of pride, comfort, and makes finding classes enjoyable, rather than a chore. My time as a traditional, classroom student at the University of Wyoming has been far more positive than I could have ever hoped for.
    These aforementioned characteristics certainly make the College a wonderful thing to be a part of, but it’s not the information or opportunities or building that make it great. The people encompassing the University of Wyoming and College of Business are what truly separate the College. EVERY professor I have ever encountered has been truly loving and professional. They are always seeking to create personal relationships and work to help their students succeed in all that they strive to do. Furthermore, the fellow students within the College are a blast to be around. Some of my best and most educated friends are fellow classmates. I certainly understand that it’s hard to quantify people, but please trust me--the relationships gained through the College of Business are more meaningful and powerful than any aspect of the College. I am beyond thankful to have been surrounded by so many caring, loving, and generous peoples.
    All in all, I owe so much to the College of Business and the University of Wyoming. Not only have they given me an education and experiences that will always serve as my professional foundation, they have given me the tools, connections, and confidence to pursue my goals and succeed in all that I do. Thanks to these peoples and skills, I was able to serve the University as Miss University of Wyoming and ultimately win the crown and title of Miss Wyoming 2015. I have no doubt that this accomplishment wouldn’t have been possible without the support of the University and CoB.

This post is not intended to promote anyone or anything. I did not write this out of obligation or otherwise. I bring you these words from the bottom of my heart as a thank you to the best university in the world, the people who make the University and state of Wyoming great, and the department that has provided me with more support and tools to succeed than nearly any other entity in my life. University of Wyoming College of Business--THANK YOU! I am so proud and ecstatic to be representing the state of Wyoming and its university. I can only hope to provide them with as much as you have provided me.

-Mikaela Shaw
    Miss Wyoming 2015
    Facebook: Mikaela Shaw, Miss Wyoming 2015
    Twitter: @MissWyoming2015
    Instagram: @MissWyoming2015