Networking Opportunities and the University of Wyoming’s MBA Program

May 19, 2015

By: Drayson Bratt

Why I’m here

Earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering provided me with many opportunities, including a process engineer internship in the downstream oil and gas industry, but only minimally introduced me to the business activities required for operation. Enrolling in the Masters of Business Administration program at the University of Wyoming has expanded my understanding of the business world and, in combination with my chemical engineering degree, will complete my formal education. Not only have the classes more than sufficiently introduced many business operations, but site visits, meetings with corporate executives, and hands on experiences have allowed me to gain knowledge that I would not have gained otherwise. The upcoming summer experiential project will continue this immersion in the businesses world and allow us to gain valuable experience.

The University of Wyoming offers many unique experiences that few universities can boast about. These experiences include leadership-training events such as the Jackson Leadership Conference, the National Outdoor Leadership School, and the Friday Speaker Series. These events provide the MBA candidates with opportunities to meet with and learn from presidents, chief executive officers, and other executives who were once in our seats.

The opportunities I’ve been given

A year ago, the importance of such events evaded me. I did not understand the emphasis placed on networking or the benefits that individuals in a network could share. Today, my view is different; this change has been prompted by a mentorship that was only possible through participation in the MBA program.

My mentor and I were introduced at the start of the MBA program because of his connections with the College of Business and the company for which I interned. This introduction allowed us to arrange an informal mentorship relationship that has continued throughout the year via emails, conversations over meals, and personal visits.

This student/mentor relationship afforded me the opportunity to learn about corporate office functions and various potential career paths through an office visit and interviews with executives. My visit, along with insights from a mentor with ample experience in the oil and gas industry, provided me with the necessary information to confidently alter my course and pursue a career aligned with my aspirations. Additionally, my mentor has provided me with constructive criticism that will allow me to tackle my weaknesses and turn them into strengths. While the relationship I enjoy with my mentor may extend beyond that which is expected from a mentor, I sincerely appreciate his candor and advice. His positive criticism will absolutely be crucial in my personal development as I begin my career. Not only do I have the opportunity to learn from my weaknesses and develop as a business leader, but this relationship will help me grow personally.

My UW MBA experience

I am grateful for the opportunities provided through the MBA program at the University of Wyoming. Not only have the professors, classes, and hands on experience given me the knowledge necessary to pursue a career in business, but it has provided unique experiences that few other universities offer - I have been provided with a networking relationship that will benefit me as a business leader and personally for years to come.

Comment below if you want to learn more about my experiences with the MBA Program.