UW College of Business $30k competition - Wyoming Skills Academy

May 14, 2015

by: Aaron Tyser, Ellbogen 30K Competitor and University of Wyoming Men's Basketball Player

When I walked on

3 years ago I walked-on to the basketball team at the University of Wyoming. I wasn’t sure what to expect and in many ways I was underprepared, both athletically and intellectually, for such an endeavor. For all of the uncertainty I had, I knew one thing; regardless of how my athletic career played out, I would do everything I could to build relationships with my teammates and coaches. Those three years have flown by and when I take time to reflect back on all that has happened, the friendships are what I remember most. Anyone that has collegiate athletic experience understands the time commitment, energy, and sacrifice involved. In many different ways you give up the traditional “college experience”.

As a walk-on I was expected to participate in all practice activities, but was never guaranteed a shot in-game to prove my abilities. I was expected to complete the countless sprints, lifts, and hours of film, but was never given a shot. It may sound like an unfair position to be in, but it is the job I signed up for knowing entirely all that would be expected of me. It required a great deal of humility and selflessness to get through some of those practices. It took even greater faith to get through some of those sleepless nights. My academic major is Psychology, but in all honesty, the hours I have spent studying for my degree do not even begin to compare to the amount of time I have spent on the court, and in the film room studying the game of basketball. In the end, I can confidently say that the entire experience was completely worth it. In fact, it led me to where I am today.

Sharing the information I've learned

Today I am running my own company, Wyoming Skills Academy, a service aimed at providing the youth of Wyoming experienced basketball guidance. Wyoming is the only state in the U.S. that does not have an established training academy for athletes. I aim to serve this vastly underserved population. I view myself as an intellectual resource and a network facilitator. I firmly believe that in this business my network will prove to be my net-worth. I was privileged to be surrounded by some of the greatest coaching minds college basketball has to offer, and I fully intend to share the information I have learned with the parents, coaches, and youth of Wyoming.

This past year I have worked with the Wyoming Technology and Business Center (WTBC) in an effort to further establish this business. I would like to specifically thank Mandy Moore, Reese Plante, Christine Langley, Heather Fleming, Jon Benson, and John Dick as they have proven to be exceptionally instrumental in many of the logistical elements pertaining to this business. The collective, diverse experience and creativity that these individuals have offered me throughout this process will prove to be essential for my long-term sustainability. Thank you.

What I walked away with

Moving forward, this summer I have been hired to work in many different Wyoming locations providing a wide range of services. Operations will commence quickly as my first clinic is set to be held in Torrington, Wyoming, May 1st. The collective community support state-wide has inspired me to further establish this business. Coaches, administrators, parents, and players here in Wyoming are ready for this type of service. It will take time, but through the platform of Wyoming Skills Academy, I will continue to strive to build trustworthy, professional relationships with administrators, coaches, parents, and youth across the state of Wyoming.

Lastly, later in the summer I will have the unique opportunity to work with some of the most elite player development coaches the game of basketball has to offer. Through the connections I have made, I will be able to travel to across the U.S. and work with player development coaches from various collegiate and NBA organizations. I am particularly excited to get away from this cold weather and travel to L.A. to work with my old strength and conditioning coach who now works at UCLA!

At the end of the day, life is all about finding your purpose and investing everything you are into it. I faithfully believe I am here to serve others, and I will diligently maintain that mission though Wyoming Skills Academy.

Would you use Wyoming Skills Academy?

Do you know a coach, parent, or youth player that needs my help?

Comment on this post!