You’ve visited your top schools, seen all the amenities, tried the food, talked to the admissions office – but can you picture yourself on campus? Is this where you’ll send the next four years?
If you haven’t quite convinced yourself that you’ve found your dream school, here are 15 questions to help you decide how you fit in with the crowd.
- How did the staff members interact with students? Were they friendly or distant?
- Does the campus seem like a good size for you? Too small? Too large? How long did it take to get across campus?
- Can you walk between classes? Would you need a bike? Can you have a car on campus? Is there a cost to have a bike or car on campus?
- How do you feel about the residence halls? Did they create a strong community atmosphere? Were students present in the dorms? Did the halls feel welcoming or isolating?
- Are the dorms single-sex or co-ed? How do you feel about that?
- Are the dorms too quiet? Too noisy? Too crowded? Not enough action?
- How large are the rooms? Is there space to study? Have time to yourself?
- How were the dorm bathrooms?
- How comfortable and safe do you feel?
- What is there to do off campus? How easily can you get off campus? Are there places within walking distance? Is there a supermarket nearby?
- If you move out of a dorm after freshman year, what are the options in apartment complexes or buildings?
- Were there student organizations you would want to join?
- Did students hang out around campus?
- Did the students try to make you feel at home? Were they helpful in answering your questions? How did they interact with one another?
- How would you feel about being in a classroom? How comfortable are you with the average class sizes? Did the classes/students/professors seem engaging? Were there interesting and innovative concepts being taught?