It is the week that’s even more brown and gold in Laramie than usual. Homecoming is here. The University of Wyoming does a great job of providing a huge variety of events throughout the week for students, parents and alumni. Just to narrow it down a little bit, though, here are 10 events that students don’t want to miss this week.
1. Spirit Relay presented by Residence Life and Dining Services - Tuesday, Oct. 4. At 11:30 a.m. Simpson Plaza.
Can your group of friends dominate a spirit contest? This is going to take a lot more than seeing who can cheer the loudest. This spirit relay incudes several different activities that will test your team’s logic, trivia knowledge, along with your physical coordination and speed.
2. Homecoming Sing presented by Iron Skull - Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 7:00 p.m. A&S Auditorium.
This is the oldest homecoming tradition at UW. It’s one thing to sing in a room with nobody but your dog watching. It is a totally different thing to sing in front of the whole Arts and Sciences Auditorium. Teams from across campus will be on hand to sing and compete. This is a hugely entertaining and hilarious night.
3. Homecoming Dance Presented by 7220 Entertainment and Cowboy Country Swing Club (CCSC) - Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 8:00 p.m. Union Ballroom.
Not being able to swing dance is no longer an excuse for you not going to the Homecoming Dance. There will actually be swing dance lessons provided by CCSC before the dance starts. Lessons start at 8 and the band starts playing at 9.
4. Car Push presented by UW Athletics - Thursday, Oct. 6 at 2:30 p.m. Southwest ramp of War Memorial Stadium.
This is another classic that you don’t want to miss. Get a group of your strongest buddies together and get signed up! Sign up as many people as you want on your team, but there are two weight divisions—1,000-1,999 and 2,000-2,999 lbs. The rest is pretty self-explanatory. The team that pushes the car up the ramp the fastest wins.
5. ASUW Annual Pig Roast presented by Associated Students of the University of Wyomin - Friday, Oct. 7 at 11:00 a.m. Simpson Plaza.
It’s pretty common knowledge at this point—college kids love free food. And it’s probably not too much of a stretch to assume that a pig roast is better than what most of you eat on a day-to-day basis. Get here before it ends at one!
6. All Alumni and Friends Reunion with Pep Rally - Friday, Oct. 7 at 5:00 p.m. Marian H. Rochelle Gateway Center.
Haven’t heard of this before? That’s because it is brand new. Show up in your Cowboy colors and bring your school spirit. Yes, the event costs you $10. But we’ve all spent $10 on much less than the two beers or glasses of wine and snacks that you get at the event. The actual rally starts at 7:00.
7. Homecoming Parade presented by WYO-Gold Student Alumni Association and the UW Alumni Association (UWAA) - Saturday, Oct. 8 at 9:30 a.m. Begins at 9th and Ivinson.
Don’t need to say a whole lot here. The parade is always worth going to. However, if you are intending on entering the parade, your float cannot be a work of a commercial firm and must follow this year’s theme of “Once a Cowboy, Always a Cowboy.”
8. Pepsi Pregame Zone - Saturday, Oct. 8 at 10:30 a.m. UW’s Indoor Practice Facility (IPF).
Be one of many Cowboy fans that show up hours before kickoff. The Pepsi Pregame Zone will have food, drinks, and plenty of UW merchandise for everybody. And if there’s still a little kid inside of you somewhere, there will be a Pepsi “Big Slide” that you can try out.
9. Homecoming Football Game: Wyoming vs. Air Force - Saturday, Oct. 8 at 1:30 p.m. War Memorial Stadium.
If you don’t make it to any other event all week, get to the football game Saturday. The game should be packed with students and alumni from all over. With all the tailgating opportunities, plus the chance to see ‘The War’ packed, there should be plenty of reason to come cheer on your Cowboys.
10. Cowgirl Soccer vs. Colorado College - Sunday, Oct. 9 at 1:00 p.m. Louis S. Madrid Sports Complex.
Don’t forget about our Cowgirls! UW soccer takes on Colorado College this weekend too. For you soccer fans, the Cowgirls also play Air Force on Friday at 3:00 p.m.
View the complete Homecoming Schedule here.
Interested in joining the UW Family? Click below.